Tuesday, January 13, 2009

stimulus

I'll be the first person to admit I know nothing about economics and I am constitutionally unable to learn. For example, my ex whatever-he-was-to-me tried patiently for years to explain the stock market to me and my understanding is still, shall we say, vague and clouded. But I do understand some simple, common sense principles, like buying something on sale with a credit card that you carry a balance on and thinking you've gotten a bargain is as stoopid as hitting yourself in the face with a brick. It is with this sad level of understanding that I approach the idea of economic stimulus.

I just read a maddening (to me) internet exchange. It started out as "how are you cutting back in these difficult economic times?" A number of people said they weren't eating out at all anymore. Someone sensibly suggested that this was actually bad for one's local economy, since many, many people depend on their jobs in the restaurant industry. This caused some of the non-restaurant goers to get snippy.

Someone suggested that no one should waste their money on things like mani/pedis in this economy. I thought, but didn't bother to post, that there are a huge number of people who also depend on their jobs in the salon/spa industry. (I'll admit I am conflicted and/or hypocritical on this matter. When I went back to school and became [once again] poor, the first thing I gave up was professional hair coloring and waxing, and I *certainly* don't pay for massages these day when I can get the most awesome ones in trade from M2. But having some friends who make all, or the predominant amount of, their incomes in spas and who are quite worried about possible drop in said incomes, I truly hope not everyone is like me. In fact, I'm almost thinking it's my duty as a patriotic American to go back to the professional hair coloring now that I'm not poor any more.)

Someone brought up that the media was whipping us all up into a frenzy so everyone was afraid to spend money and this was in fact horrible for the economy. Someone else (from Michigan) said they thought that spending money was not an economic stimulus and the only thing that was going to work was creating jobs. To which I thought, jobs doing what? I mean, I understand the public works projects ala the New Deal, but beyond that? Jobs involve making things, selling things, and/or providing services that *other people want, or have, to spend money on.* If no one is buying what you're making, selling, or providing, no jobs. Am I totally wrong here? Isn't that, like, the main principle behind an economy?

And, again, people getting snippy and defensive about not *having* any money to spend on anything. Fine. If you can't pay your bills, or can just barely pay your bills, then no one is suggesting you wrack (rack? help me here) up more credit card debt getting your eyebrows done or going out for Chinese food. But this is what I think. If you do have, say, $40 in disposable income a week, $40 that doesn't need to be spent on bills, and you aren't in debt, the responsible thing to do, for yourself and for your neighbors and country is this: put $15 into your savings and take the other $25 and spend it, preferably on something that's gonna give work to someone in your community, not a factory worker in China. Pizza, microbrews, and pedicures all qualify. As does a chair massage.

I have spoken.

xoxo

7 comments:

Craig H said...

From your lips to you-know-who's ears, I'm taking my weekly allowance out to the bar alongside the indoor soccer field tonight and hoisting a couple to Andreanomics. It's what I can do.

Uncle said...

I'm inspired...Friday at hmmm...Beer Works? The Landing? Eat modestly, drink responsibly and tip generously.

malevolent andrea said...

See? All you have to do is mention that drinking beer is a good thing, and the people will get behind your economic plan!

I think that, despite my total lack of qualifications, Obama should hire me to be in charge of something.

crispix67 said...

Doing my part...without the beer drinking. I have ordered pizza this past weekend...am going to take roomie out for Mexican today at the "Hola Beauteeful Ladee" place because if they go out of bizness, where will we get our Speedy Gonzales lunch for under $5?? I tipped the pizza guy like 25% lol. Hey, it took 25 minutes from ordering online till it was on my table..I thought that was awesome. :)
Ive been working hard to make some extra bucks...and just got another cleaning gig, freelance, off the record - whoo-hoo!

Andreanomics sounds great to me! :)

Anonymous said...

I think your penultimate paragraph is rather an encapsulation of the spiral of deflation (if I understand deflation correctly from NYTimes articles) which is what economists are really fucking afraid of, because, apparently, it becomes almost impossible to get out of. That's what happened for more than a decade during the Great Depression here (and most of the rest of the world) and what happened in Japan for most of the '90s.

Add on the fact that people stop buying cause they think prices are going to keep going down (kind of like me and a flat screen TV) so then nobody makes anything or hires anyone to make anything cause nobody's buying right now. Then, since nobody's getting hired, there's even less money around so nobody buys, prices go down even further, nobody hires cause they can't afford to make stuff, etc. etc.

I know that part of the idea behind pumping mega-billions into the big banks is to get so much money into circulation that spiral is prevented... but since those mega-banks are just sitting on their mega-billions (or using them to pay out bonuses to their incredibly prescient execs as well as to buy other banks, which is just so productive) pumping money into the economy just hasn't been working, it hasn't reached the beer-scale economy yet, and given the current process maybe never will.

malevolent andrea said...

Okay, so, mentioning pizza also gets the non-beer-drinking public on the side of your stimulus plan! I may be some kind of idiot savant about this ecomonics shit, n'est pas?

Mr Indemnity, I know you're doing your part, 'cause you eat out more than you eat in.

And can I just mention that Mr Barma *continued* to do his part by taking me out for Greek food last night. Thank you, Mr Barma! And your nation thanks you too.

Craig H said...

And the beer was good, too.