Saturday, January 10, 2009

insert cop-out misc title here

Look how good I'm being, starting the new blogging year out with more posts than there have been days so far. Yes, I know that's counting posts about cats in costumes and organ repossession, but still. Cut me a break.

I just told you all about how I've got actual new books unread and a little pile of three Netflix envelopes and yet tonight, in between baking, I've been reading the interwebs again. As I said to my boss recently, I don't know how anyone could possibly ever be bored anymore, now that they've invented youtube. C'mon now. But, no, I was using my brain in a slightly--okay, very slightly--more taxing manner than looking at funny cat videos requires. (Just slightly, 'cause you know I worked all day, then went grocery shopping with the rest of the mental people who freak out at the s-word and need to buy twelve 2 liters of Coke and a pot roast in case it's the blizzard of '78 all over again. My brain is demanding I put a cool cloth on it.)

Where was I? Oh, yeah. What I Read Tonight.

First, in a customer review of a design book I bought off Amazon--shut up, I will too read that, it'll have lots and lots of pictures, yo--the concept of "no-brow" (as opposed to high- or low-brow) design exemplified by your Ikea, Target, Pottery Barn merchandise, and coined by someone in the New York Times at some point. The principle being, I guess, that today everyone can have stuff in their house that's been designed by actual big name designers and/or very close knockoffs of the same, and you don't even need to try, you just need to go to the mall. Where it's all carefully merchandised for you, so you don't even need to try even less: just buy what they tell you goes together. So even if you have no taste and no sense of style at all, your home won't be a tack-fest. I'm sure the NYT was disapproving of this. Me, well, you know, the parts of my home that are at least semi-redecorated tend to look like a Pottery Barn and a Pier 1 met at an orgy, mated, and produced offspring with birth defects, so I don't mock being able to buy cute stuff at Tarzhay. Well, except for that Audrey Hepburn poster that every teenaged girl in America is required by law to place in her bedroom. Other than that, I'm down with the no-brow.

It's like back in the late 80s, early 90s, before Express turned into a teenage store, I bought 90% of my work clothes and 80% of my non-work clothes there, and so did an awful lot of other young to middle-aged women. This was exemplified by the day that a woman and her mom brought the woman's baby into my office for an appointment, and all three of us, me, the mother, and the grandmother, were wearing the same cotton mock-neck Express shirt, albeit in three different colors. My point being, if you bought something there, it was reasonably priced, not too shoddily made, and at least moderately fashionable and on trend. And you had a perfectly nice, good-looking garment that you were guaranteed to run into someone else you knew wearing. Just like now your neighbors have that same Ikea dining set or Target drapes you do. It's not unique, but does that make it *bad* for the average person? No. Get off your high horse, NYT.

So, what else did I read on the interwebs tonight? An actual article from the NYT (that Mr Indemnity didn't send me, shock! awe!). This one had nothing to do with design at all. It was by a woman who claims to have little to no sex drive and thinks sex is no fun at all and never really has for more than very brief periods of time. (She also has a husband she claims to love dearly, so I would ask you where the fairness in life is, but we've already established there is none. It's a cold, random universe of suckitude.) Anyway, I find this fascinating, at least as fascinating as acupuncture, lolcats, or Rate My Space.

What would my life be like if I'd never found sex any fun at all? I'd probably have won a Nobel Prize by now. Like in physics or biochemistry. Something really impressive, I mean, no wussy-ass Peace prize. The portion of my brain that I now allot to "sunset over the mountain foothills in spring" would have to be reallocated to something else, right?

Oh, who are we kidding? It'd have just been taken over by more cat video.

xoxo

No comments: