Sunday, January 25, 2009

hair thoughts

I'm going to lead you through the stream-of-consciousness that led me to this post. C'mon now. It's Sunday and it's 9 degrees. What the hell else you got better to do than read this crap? (Yeah, I know, anything.)

Be that as it may. While soaking in my tub, I was thinking about romantic movies, still and/or again. I was thinking about Almost Famous, which like The Apartment is one of my favorite movies, and which contains a very sweet love story, but which I wouldn't consider a romantic movie per se. So then I started thinking about Kate Hudson and how cute and charming and luminous she is in that film and how in all her recent publicity for the horrific Bride Wars piece of shit, she looks so hard and unattractive. There's a woman who has aged very badly over the past ten years, and that surprises me, since "cute" usually ages pretty well.

So then, I started thinking of examples of that, and of course Drew Barrymore came to mind. I know amongst my friends and blog readers Drew has her detractors, but to me, she was cute 20 years ago, she was cute 10 years ago, she's cute now, and I'm sure she'll still be cute in another 10 years. And thinking of her detractors, I thought of our Mr Indemnity making sport (along with much of the rest of the interwebs) of her Golden Globe hairdo. Which, if you haven't seen it, was an interpretation of 1960's style big hair. A very messy interpretation, which led to lots of joking about Ms Barrymore looking like she had sex in the limo on the way over. If so in reality, good for her! Having sex in even the most spacious of limos whilst wearing a formal gown seems daunting to me (though I guess a couple of generations of prom goers now will have proven me wrong on that) but maybe she just gave her guy a little head, and he was responsible for messing up her hair. If so in reality, again, good for her! But even if that hairdo was intentional, not accidental, I still gotta give her props for ambition, if not execution.

*Because*, I was thinking, hair this decade has been hella boring. We went from big hair in the 60s to flat hair in the 70s to uber-big hair in the 80s to uber-flat hair in the 90s and then...this decade? Just neutral and blah. The only exciting thing that happened was the chunky, multi-colored highlight trend of 2001-2004ish, which while distressing to people who like a more natural look, suited me just fine. I had them on and off and I looked good. But fashion is fickle and since then, nothing much. There was that brief bob trend in 2007 with everyone and their sister copying Mrs Cruise, including me (involuntarily, I might add) but otherwise it's been long to medium hair with long layers, a totally unobjectionable haircut--no one's gonna look back at pictures from 2008 twenty years from now and cringe, unlike say 1988--but enough's enough. Snoozefest. Oh, they try to push the pixie cut, but face it, unless you are very skinny and frail like Mrs Beckham or Mia Farrow before her, or so very very beautiful that hair is actually a distraction from your flawless face, like Halle Berry, it's usually a big mistake, and that leaves out the vast majority of us.

So here's the thing. I need to buck up and go to the cunty hairdresser soon, because my ends are tragic. I'm thinking of, as I've said, springing for professional coloring, and I need at least a trim to fix those tragic dried out ends. But honestly? I'm gonna end up with long layers and a variation of the non-exciting single process color I have now, and what the hell fun is that?

Please invent some wacky hair trend I can follow. Thx.

xoxo

2 comments:

Uncle said...

Well geez...Amy Winehouse tried to liven styles up, and look where it got *her.*

malevolent andrea said...

I *know*! Have you seen the new pictures of her looking all healthy, and not strung out, and with some weight on her? She looks really good, but NO BEEHIVE. Without the funky hair she's just another singer with lots of good songs about drinking and infidelity. :-(