Monday, December 24, 2007

the present Santa didn't bring

When my mom died, we gave away some of her clothes and such and threw away some others, and I appropriated the things I wanted (the famous Calphalon wok!), but we didn't really do a whole cleanout of everything. It was a bad year and my dad and I were both overwhelmed.

I kinda sorta realized today that the reason that huge box tucked away in one of the closets that said KitchenAid on it was so heavy was that it in fact contained a never-used 5 quart professional series mixer in Imperial Gray. Never used. Are you kidding me? Where did it come from? Did we buy it for her for some occasion or other? Why did she never use it? (The answer to that one is actually easy. I'm sure she was saving it for when her other mixer broke. Which, let that be a lesson to you. Use your shit and don't save it, or you may die before it ever comes out of the box.)

So, yeah, I regifted it to myself for Christmas. Ho ho ho.

Feliz Navidad, blog readers. I hope Santa brings you whatever would be your equivalent of an Imperial Gray KitchenAid on the awesomeness scale.

xoxo

4 comments:

Craig H said...

When I was spending the rent at China Fair in Needham today, an extremely adamant (we'll use more-pleasant euphemisms in observance of the holiday season, shall we?) woman was extremely disappointed that they didn't carry electric mixers among their wall-to-wall of everything kitchen I'm sure she'd have creamed her LL Bean jeans over the KitchenAid. Myself, I was too busy graven-idolizing my perfect $50 egg skillet to commiserate with her about the mixer. It's BEE-YOO-TIFUL. And I know exactly when I'm going to use it.

Merry Christmas morning omelet for the Kad. Mushrooms... Onions... Spicy Italian Sausage... Sharp Provolone Cheese... Free range eggs... Whole milk... Whisked up with Grandma's favorite wooden-handled whisk... Mmmmm.

I'd have blown the $50 sooner or later on something not nearly so lifetime-enjoyable. Better it's being put to good use.

Anybody feel like some eggs?

malevolent andrea said...

Oh, that's a very nice omelet you spoiled with the mushrooms there, my friend. :-)

Uncle said...

No mixer, but Santa did bring a remote control, *talking* meat thermometer! Beat *that*, hard-core foodies!

( I hope it works on lasagna)

malevolent andrea said...

A talking meat thermometer?!?

Does it say things like, "Yo, if you serve this chicken to your guests, be prepared to call 911" or "What? Did you fall asleep? This roast is charcoal!" Because it would if I had invented it. :-)

Seriously, though, that's *so cool.*