Wednesday, December 12, 2007

in today's Globe

I almost put an ellipsis in there and then I stopped myself. Just thought you'd all want to know that. Before I actually go accomplish something today, and I swear to god I will, I have to talk about a couple of things in today's paper.

In a snarky review of some mother-daughter pageant reality show (and, seriously, why do you need to snark when you can just give that description of what it is? c'mon now), the author makes some fun of one of the contestants listing her hobbies as shopping and working out. Hey, those are two of my hobbies as well, and I don't think that makes me any more shallow or stupid than the average person. It's that kind of snobbery that makes people feel like they ought to say they spend their time going to the opera or studying Portuguese when obviously they don't.

Our second news item was a story on Youk's fiancee. She once dated Ben Affleck. Then she was briefly married to someone who owned a car dealership. Now she's with a pro baseball player. Is it wrong of me to read this list of facts and think "golddigger"? Okay, maybe I am more shallow than the average person. Especially since when I was looking at her photo I was thinking, "Really? Ben Affleck thought she was good-looking enough to date after J Lo?"

Over n out.

xoxo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Golddigger? You've been listening to Kanye West again?

Actually, how does one apply to be a golddigger? I mean, I guess if you hang out at the right country clubs or work at the right charities or go into corporate PR you can get in line to be a trophy wife, but golddigger with Ben Affleck, a car dealer, and Kevin Youkilis? Take about a varied field of play.

The one thing about Enza Samabataro is she doesn't apparently have bleached blonde hair. As we've discussed in the past, bleached blonde hair is apparently a basic requirement for all baseball wives (with the exception of Mrs. Varitek) so I'm predicting the future Mrs. Youkilis won't make the long-term cut by not fulfilling one of the primary prerequisites.

malevolent andrea said...

Oh, yeah! you've got to loan me that CD too so I can load it on my iPod. "Won the Super Bowl, drove off in a Hyundai..."

Anyway, maybe I'm slandering the future Mrs Youk, and the article just didn't mention the English professors, electricians, CPAs, and all the other guys with annual incomes below seven figures that she dated in between the movie stars and pro athletes. :-)

In more important news, however, I finished your Christmas gifts today, so I can give them to you the next time I see you, just in case you do decide to head off to the godforsaken Middle Atlantic states early.