Thursday, July 30, 2009

i know you all hate when i do this

Does that violate this blog's anti-disclaimer policy? Am I breaking my own damn rules here? But anyway. I've got to go off on another feminist/our-culture-is-so-fucked rant here. Feel free not to read it if my frothing at the mouth is boring.

So, yeah, after my little appointment with the gynecologist yesterday, besides consoling myself with food and shoes (Andrea! you feel the need to insert that in an anti-women-stereotyping post? Why, yes, yes I do. Just because I am a cliche, does not mean I cannot get excised about being reduced to one), I went home and looked up on the interwebz what they claim is wrong with me and how they are going to fix it. Yeah, I know, I'm not supposed to be doing that either. I didn't find what one might call a plethora of information. Maybe there *isn't* a plethora information. Maybe everything that needs to be said can in fact be said in two paragraphs.

But, just in my ongoing quest for knowledge, I thought I would go on Amazon just now and see if there were any books that seem pertinent. I go to the "women's health section". The top result (of over 26,000) is a little tome called Master Your Metabolism: The 3 Diet Secrets to Naturally Balancing Your Hormones for a Hot and Healthy Body! Oh, yes. Do you like the ordering there? Being "hot" is obviously more important than being healthy. Duh. (Do we even need to go into the conflation of "hot" with skinny? Probably not.)

But obviously, the most important "health" concern we chicks have is being skinny. I mean, looking hot. In fact 5 of the top 12 results are diet books. (Another four are about child-raising, which I kinda think is more about the child's health than the mother's, but wtf do I know?) There are two about pregnancy (fair enough!) and one about mental health (also fair enough, though nothing about a quick perusal of it suggests it's aimed solely at women). There's actually nothing on the first two pages that has anything to do with gynecology other than pregnancy or fertility. Now, this is sorted by bestselling, so obviously, it's the female American reading public that is at least partially at fault. I'll give you that. Apparently we are not interested in what's going on inside our own bodies. We'd rather read wacky diet books that promise to make us "hot" so we can, I dunno, snag a man, who will then, I dunno, knock us up with children who will then, I dunno, prove to be impossible to discipline or get to sleep.

Apparently.

Okay. I'm done now. But just the existence of a book called Master Your Metabolism: The 3 Diet Secrets to Naturally Balancing Your Hormones for a Hot and Healthy Body! makes me want to throw things.

xoxo

3 comments:

Uncle said...

When you're finished with that, look for a title on "How to be hot in the new skinny jeans." Seems to me no one past size 1 could get their legs into these things. To an old fahrt they look like a parody of cycle gang jeans from my younger days. But their very existence accounts for the uptick in diet obsession and hits on the "Anorexia/Bulima are *good* for you" Web sites. I'm not a fan of the death camp look.

Ends my vent.

malevolent andrea said...

The skeeriest thing is that, apparently, the hippest of hipster boys wear their girlfriends' skinny jeans, because you can't find mens ones that tight. I suppose we can all take consolation in the fact that, with that much ball-squeezing going on, we don't have to worry about these morons breeding.

malevolent andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.