Sunday, July 5, 2009

apparently

...I went to bed last night with dried paint on the soles of my feet. Oh. Would this correlate in any way with the fact that I dreamt I bought a box of mail-order bees? And that the UPS guy who delivered them recommended that in five days I feed them a dead woodchuck?

The vivid dreaming's been off the hook, yo.

Well, kids, yesterday I got the dining room half of the living room/dining room painted. I decided for my own mental sanity (shut up) that it made more sense to do two coats on half the space and then do the other half today, rather than one coat on everything each day. Especially since painting the dining room required taking everything out of the top of the china cabinet, because otherwise it was too heavy to move. So, basically yesterday every single surface in my kitchen was covered with glassware and dishes (which I [hand]washed before returning to the china cabinet, too, so yay!) My dad was disgruntled because there was nowhere to sit in the kitchen and about 12 inches of usable, uncovered countertop. I explained why all that crap was there. "Well, why did you need to paint *behind* the china cabinet? Who's gonna see it?" Once again, kids? THIS IS WHAT I PUT UP WITH.

Anyway, the dining room window faces east and I haven't put the curtain back up on it yet, so right now the room is flooding with light and the new wall color (clam chowder) which is a light creamy yellow/gold looks orange. It's very cool. That's one of the funnest, most interesting things about choosing paint colors, how different the same color looks in different rooms, at different times of day, under different weather conditions. I've had swatches up on different rooms in this house since, like, early March, and one of the colors that I'm pretty sure I'm going to use in one of the upstairs rooms actually looked optimal when it was snowing or there were snow clouds. It's still pretty in summer light, but that winter light made it absolutely gorgeous.

So! Did everyone who wasn't working their fingers to the bone have a fun holiday yesterday? Hope so! I would really like to go to the beach today instead of painting more, because I'm skeered this is our one nice weekend and then it will rain for another 40 days and 40 nights, but no. Gotta paint in here, so I can get this room put back together.

xoxo

7 comments:

Uncle said...

After three years, got permission from offspring to sell her boat (not needed in CA desert). Sold boat. Spent most of weekend reclaiming barn which had housed said boat. Aching in many, many body parts. For diversion, aided in marine rescue of a nautically challenged individual. More aches. Fell asleep before fireworks. Happy Fourth.

Uncle said...

I think you're supposed to feed the bees to the woodchuck, or was it sic the bees on the UPS guy...I get so confused.

malevolent andrea said...

I finished painting. I am so fucking tired and my adductors are screaming. (Apparently I need to join the gym like I've been threatening and spend quality time on the stairmaster, b/c getting up and down that ladder approximately a gazillion times just about killed me.)

I think the bee dream was a "what have I gotten myself into?" dream, because I during th UPS guy's spiel, I was thinking, "maybe buying bees wasn't a good idea...I'm kinda afraid of bees...maybe I should have him put the bees in the garage and not go in there..." The symbolism of the woodchuck, however, eludes me. :-P

crispix67 said...

I had pretty good 4th, I bought myself a cheap little grill and actually lit a fire and some coals and grilled. All by myself! Chicken kabobs,zucchini slices and S'mores...just cuz. LOL
Washed down with some homemade lemonade, it was pretty damn good, if I do say so myself...and I do!
Was a bit lonely, but I got through. Watched the fireworks from D.C. on PBS and went to bed.

I ahve no idea what bees and dead woodchucks symbolize. LOL

malevolent andrea said...

I think the bees were in my subconscious b/c of that story in the news the other day--the bee swarm at some MLB park (San Diego?) that caused a big delay of game while they found a beekeeper to come to the park and contain them. The woodchuck I'm still coming up blank on. I'm not even sure what a woodchuck looks like.

Uncle said...

A woodchuck is a very big squirrel on steroids with a short tail. They raise hell with cattle by digging holes where stupid cows will step in them and break their legs. You might work that into something interpretive.

crispix67 said...

And they looovvve to eat pansies. But not geraniums.
I had a pair that lived under the steps of my apartment in Jefferson City, Mizzoorah,and they ate all my pansies that I was so proud of, because they had lived...lol. But, my geraniums were untouched.

Both my grandfathers fought never ending battles with woodchucks. Upstate New York has lots of woodchucks. :)