Saturday, July 25, 2009

redux, or re-do

Now, to set the stage, this morning when I was getting ready for work I decided to wear my wide-legged white jeans for the first time this summer. Between the crappy, crappy weather we've had so far (white pants + rain = sad muddy hems, no matter how careful you be) and my war with my uterus (white pants + ...oh, never mind, you get the idea) the opportunity just hasn't presented itself. But today was that day. And on my way to work, I realized in my ensemble of white jeans, favorite black v-neck, and the gladiator sandals, I was duplicating an outfit I've worn for, lo, so many years. Ever since about 1987, every summer when it was even vaguely stylish, I've had some sort of black t-shirt, white pants, black sandal combo that I've thought looked fabulous. I have no idea *why* I think that particular combination looks fabulous, but apparently I do. There's photographic evidence!

Also, relatedly, when I saw the Benevolent L last weekend, I was wearing the gladiator sandals and she said, "Oh, I like those. But those aren't new, are they?" I was like, well, I got them this spring. But what she meant was she remembered me having black gladiator sandals like ten years ago. Which I did. Which points out to me that I also buy those every time they come back into style. And white jeans. And leopard print cardigans. And silver flats. And peasanty shirts. And platform shoes. And sarong skirts. And footless tights.

I would like to claim that I buy these things because I know they suit me, but that is not the case. It's just that certain pieces of apparel are apparently irresistible to me. Design 'em and I'll buy 'em. Sucker born every minute. Like that.

xoxo

No comments: