Friday, October 31, 2008

boo!

Twenty-four trick-or-treaters, if I counted correctly. I have definitely had much better years. But once again, my favorite was a teeny tiny little girl who didn't quite get the concept. She would have been quite content to stay in my doorway for ten or fifteen minutes, transfixed by my (witch's) hat and holding out her bag, as if I would continue to drop more and more candy into it if she only hung around. Her big sister had to more or less drag her away. "Okay, we gotta go. We're done. Say bye. Say thank you."

Too freaking cute. Excuse me while I get verklempt for a wee moment over my child's adulthood, my old woman shriveled up eggs, and the fact I won't ever have grandchildren.

Okay, there, better.

Did you all dress up? If not, why not? Remember, you may be old, but you can still be immature. Um, I mean "filled with child-like wonder." Yeah, that. I have to admit, I took the easy way out this year and used stuff I already had around the house. (Why, yes, I *did* have a pointy black hat in my closet. You don't?) Hopefully next year I'll revert to being at least a little more creative.

Oh, and one more thing. Tomorrow all the candy will be half price. So if you don't have any leftover mini-Snickers bars in the house to get jacked up on, it'll be real easy to remedy that on the cheap. Happy Halloween!

xoxo

2 comments:

Uncle said...

Haven't ever gotten dressed up to hand it out...as opposed to going downtown for the people watching. I'm getting closer. But then, toward the end of the evening, I get really stingy and start doling the stuff out a single M&M at a time, so I don't have to go score the half price candy today.

Which I may yet.

malevolent andrea said...

I couldn't figure out how, even taking into consideration the crappy number of trick-or-treaters we had, that I still had a couple Butterfingers left over at the end of the night. I was *trying* to give those away first b/c I don't like them, but apparently I screwed up. Nevertheless, there were plenty of mini-Snickers left, so not only did I not have to buy the discount candy, Snickers bars made up approximately 75% of my total diet today.

I was cleaning the garage. I needed energy. That's a legitimate reason. It is.