Tuesday, October 21, 2008

financial news of the week

I kept saying that when my Fidelity statement came for the quarter, I wasn't going to open it. But I lied. My rate of return for the year to date is -30%.

I just laughed. I dunno. It's all theoretical money to me anyway. I have absolutely no faith I'll ever see any of it. And M2 and I decided we can probably massage people till we're almost ready to drop, anyway, and when we are really ready to drop, we can switch to Reiki-ing them. That's pretty non-labor intensive. So, y'know, we're all set to work till we're 85. I mean, we've seen the pictures of Ida Rolf, who--I don't know how old she really was, but--looked 104, teaching her little acolytes how to Rolf people from her wheelchair.

Or, alternately, I could work harder on finding me a rich contractor husband before my looks totally go.

Either way, I ain't depending on no 401k, I'll tell you what.

xoxo

2 comments:

Uncle said...

My Fidelity account is only -3%...probably because most of it dates back to when the market was even worse than now. OTOH, the new one is -32%...average not so good.

My retirement plan is to move to some scenic, low-cost place, like the Dominican Republic, learn Spanish and swindle tourists.

malevolent andrea said...

Hey! I know how to say "it's not going to hurt" in Spanish. I'm *sure* that'd come in handy in swindling the tourists. If not, y'know, your social life. And just think of how good the baseball must be in the DR!