Thursday, October 9, 2008

semi-review

Torchwood.

I just got the first dvd from Netflix yesterday and have, so far, only watched one episode, but so far, so good. (One of) the main character(s) is a Welsh policewoman, and early on, she and her partner are discussing just who/what Torchwood might be. Her partner posits that they are forensics. "It's all that CSI bollocks these days, innit? I'd like to see them do CSI:Cardiff! They could measure the trajectory of a kebab."

Oh, that cracked me right the hell up, and I have no real idea why. I know nothing about Cardiff other than its approximate location, and certainly have no idea why they might have a blight of fast food-related violence there, but that's funny. There are other jokes/references to Cardiff perhaps being a rowdy kind of place. The policewoman and her partner, for example, are called in to break up a football-caused bar fight and she takes a punch to the face meant for someone else, and when she needs to explain away her absence to her boyfriend when she's sneaking around, trying to investigate Torchwood, she says she's taking an extra shift on at work "because there's a match tonight." But all that leads me to my one complaint about the show so far.

She runs around through the episode doing police stuff, including crowd control and breaking up fights, and for 90% of that time, her long hair is hanging in her face. Arrggghhhh. It fucks with my suspension of disbelief like you can't even imagine, and for what? Could someone please tell these TV and movie people that an attractive woman is still attractive if her hair is in a bun. Or a ponytail. Or a braid. Really! We will still find our protagonist to be a cutie pie if you put her hair back, like a real law enforcement officer.

Anyway. So far I'd have to say that if you like British TV, as I do, or scifi, as I do, you might just enjoy this series. I'll report back later.

xoxo

3 comments:

Uncle said...

I gotta see this. FYI Cardiff is the biggest city in Wales. The native population is rowdy enough without outside help, but it has become, umm, culturally diverse.

Unless they do this entirely in BBC English, congrats on getting through without subtitles. At home, when there's anything on in Welsh dialect, I get called on to supply the dubbing.

malevolent andrea said...

Oh, it's definitely BBC English.

And I also always watch all my dvds with the captioning on. God only knows I would not have made it through 5 seasons of The Wire in order to cry over Bodie's death had I not :-)

malevolent andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.