Thursday, November 29, 2007

rowwrrr

D had a doctor's appointment yesterday and we met up with his case manager L there. She is always trying to get him to go places or do things with her, to work on the social anxiety/agoraphobia thing, and he always politely declines. Well, yesterday, we had been talking in the appointment about exercise--D saying he might start lifting again, since he's got weights at home--and afterwards L said, "D, would you ever want to go for a walk around your neighborhood with me?" (Her sister lives near us and she told us when we first met her not to be surprised if we saw her around our way, that she often walked by our street.)

D, of course said "no" and I said, "I think he's afraid of running into someone he knows, L." She was like, "Why?!? Do you think they would know who I am?" I said, "Yeah, they'd just think L was your older girlfriend. That would have to up your street cred."

And then she said, deadpan, "And, not for nothing, but I am hot." We were dying. I said, "Yeah. What's that word? Cougar?" and she rowwrr'd. D was just smirking at us and shaking his head like: And I'm the one who's supposed to be mentally ill here?

My Skills and Dynamics teacher, the one who had such a stick up her ass regarding therapeutic boundaries, would have said this whole conversation was *highly* inappropriate. But I'll say this--D did later make a commitment to go Christmas shopping with L so he could buy my present, which is fabulous. I think the Commonwealth is damn lucky to have her working for them and we're damn lucky to have had her assigned to us.

xoxo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is soooo cool.

Seriously, she does sound terrific, and that she's doing just the right thing. Therapeutic boundaries my ass...

malevolent andrea said...

She's fabulous. She's one of my blessings that I count when I'm counting them :-)

Uncle said...

That woman rocks!

I am all for people anywhere breaking boundaries, but especially when they have a job like that.