Monday, November 26, 2007

45 minutes!

of grueling cardio, suckahs. It took a lot of (post)punk to get me through that. But, yes, day one was a success.

(I'll also note that no one is stepping up to the plate and volunteering to go bowling with me. I think this is a sad replay of last year's kickboxing debacle, by which I mean to say, as nicely as is possible, you all suck.)

Now, for some substance and actual content: I finally finished reading Atonement, a book I only bought because the trailer for the film has been played before every single movie I've gone to for the last three months. Now, without spoiling either the book or the movie--should it actually follow the book--all I can say is I was pleasantly shocked and shockingly pleased at the ending, in which it becomes clear that what you've assumed is true or what you assumed you've been reading is in fact something different. I don't know how they'll have filmed it to carry off the same structure. It seems like one of those literary techniques that is elegant on the page but would seem lame dramatized. But now I suppose I'll have to go see it and find out.

Plus, of course, Kiera Knightly, so yeah.

xoxo

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I didn't notice the bowling comment!

Sure, I'll do bowling. I'll embarrass myself and you'll likely kick my ass, but that's a lot better than being kicked in the head, so WTF.

And good job on the cardio. :)

malevolent andrea said...

You kids and your reading comprehension these days, grumble grumble :-)

I need to report back, however, that after doing 45 minutes of cardio at 7ish last evening, I barely slept all night. I hope my body gets used to it.

Anonymous said...

I thought one was supposed to sleep better with lots of exercise...

You always were contradictory, though. ;)

malevolent andrea said...

Not too close to bedtime, unfortunately, because it revs you up. I thought that early in the evening would be okay, but apparently not :-(

Craig H said...

Yup, early in the day is the prescription for exercise. That also can work to depress appetite if it's intense enough and right around meal time.

As for bowling, I only do candlepins, but any time you want to throw down, you just name it!

malevolent andrea said...

The problem with early-in-the-day is days like today where I had to get up at 5:30 anyway. Realistically, there is no way in hell that I'm getting up any earlier than that to work out.

And I just want you guys to know that you are now *officially* on record as having said you would go bowling with me.

Uncle said...

Still bemused about cardio bowling. That used to be called shotput.
:D

malevolent andrea said...

The cardio and the bowling were two separate topics. Will you people at least *try* to keep up? :-PPPP :-))))

Anonymous said...

"The problem with early-in-the-day is days like today where I had to get up at 5:30 anyway. Realistically, there is no way in hell that I'm getting up any earlier than that to work out."

See, you need to get with the Wall Street/Yuppie program. Need to be in the gym by 6am so you can be finished sweating and showering in time for your power breakfast meeting at 7:30am so you can be finished with your big deal (or sucking up, whatever) by the time the market opens. The earlier you get up and the less time you waste sleeping the more valuable you are.

Geez, no wonder you didn't get a $10 million bonus last year. :p