Wednesday, November 21, 2007

in praise of napping

Seriously, I think I've done this blog before, but goddamn. There is very little I find more pleasurable in life. In fact, if I were ever to finish filling out my complete profile on here, I might just list napping as my number one interest.

Now, if you need an excuse, you could always have sex beforehand, or you could flip on a game or put on a DVD for an "accidental" nap. But the best napping, IMO, is climbing under the nice toasty covers purposefully in the middle of the day with the unapologetic intention to sleep. Ahhhh.

I had an interesting dream whilst napping today, though. I dreamt that someone called me while I was sleeping, but when I tried to access the voicemail on my cell, Sprint had changed the interface completely and the menus on my phone didn't do what they were supposed to do any more. So I had to listen to the messages on the XM radio. Because XM and Sprint had merged.

I guess that's the one downside to napping. You remember your dreams and then you bore your friends recounting them.

xoxo

3 comments:

Uncle said...

I'll back you up completely. Sometimes it is simply that being asleep is a damn sight more interesting that being awake.

malevolent andrea said...

Sometimes I think *I'm* more interesting asleep than awake.

I had this idea for a cyberpunkish story once, about a time in the future when people's brains could be jacked into and their dreams projected as mass entertainment, and people whose subconsciouses threw out the most fascinating images and stories became big celebs. It was going to be from the POV of a woman whose sister was one of the world's premiere professional dreamers, but who had gone inexplicably missing.

But I was never able to develop it or do much with it. So if anyone wants to steal it, please do.

Anonymous said...

You know, I've certainly read a bunch of stories that were the other way around (i.e. jacking in to receive dreams/experiences), but never the reverse.

I actually like that idea, it's different (at least for someone who is no expert on the current literature). Especially combining the noir/detective with the dream thing, a little like Ricahrd K. Morgan's first book Altered Carbon.

So, like, you should write it up and then sell the film rights for a million bucks, like Morgan did. Then you could have plenty of free time to do cardio.

Although a million bucks doesn't go as far as it used to...