Tuesday, June 7, 2011

riffing off the neighbors

Okay, kids, go read our friend and fellow Adventurer Uncle's post, if you haven't already, then come back. I'll wait.

Drumming my fingers.

Whistling.

How slow are you people?

Alrighty, here we go. I love when coincidence strikes, because I was remembering just yesterday--spurred by the sight of all the gentlemen out and about enjoying the nice weather--the little internet kerfluffle I caused several years ago, on what was mainly a dating site, more or less, by stating that men should not have pictures of themselves in shorts as their *main* profile picture. Even if they have quads to die for and calves of steel (both things which we chicks tend to dig on an aesthetic level.) My point being that no man looks dignified in shorts. Nor do they look sexy. Nothing wrong with wearing shorts, they serve their purpose, but for putting your best foot forward in attracting women, especially a certain type of woman? No. And, let it be said, naked pictures are even worse in that department. If no one looks dignified in shorts, do you think anyone looks dignified naked? And, as Uncle pointed out, most women do not see the naked male body as sexy either. We may appreciate it on an aesthetic level, but it isn't what's going to make us want to get you in bed in most cases.

So if you still think that posting or sending pictures of yourself in states of undress or semi-undress is the way to our hearts, or y'know, other parts, reconsider that strategy.

xoxo

5 comments:

Craig H said...

So what is it, exactly, that you're inviting us to do here? And what's the payoff for the winning snapshot? Guys are very goal-oriented animals, as you well know.

malevolent andrea said...

I am not inviting anyone to do anything. I am just, out of the pure goodness of my generous heart, serving up a piece of advice to the gentlemen of the world who wish to attract wimmins. Gentlemen who wish to attract other gentlemen would be well-served not to follow my advice, and gentlemen who wish to attract nobody because they're already taken care of in the sex-partner department can feel free to ignore the whole thing :-)

But if anyone does want to fill my inbox with pictures of themselves looking super hot in a really nice suit, I wouldn't, y'know, delete them without opening. Ahem.

Uncle said...

Perhaps we are both too subtle. Gentlemen, above all do *not* go courting without any shorts at all. Well, don't go after women that way ;-)

Anonymous said...

Apparently Kristen Schaal agrees with you on excessive exposure of male anatomy

http://bit.ly/kQRjET

Though as a man currently typing in shorts, I'm pretty sure she's wrong.

malevolent andrea said...

Don't make me sound like I disapprove of shorts. I SAID they have their place.

And, actually, I need to take back one thing. I thought of an instance in which a man in shorts does remain dignified. If you are a professional athlete and they are part of your uniform, and especially if they are covered in dirt and (your opponents') blood, you are then tough enough that they do not besmirch your dignity. See: World Cup soccer.

For every rule, there is an exception.