Sunday, September 13, 2009

political decisions to be made

Lots o' local elections upcoming this November. For instance, my frenemy from high school is running for mayor of our fair city. I do not think she will be getting my vote. Perhaps I'll write myself in instead. Or my cat.

But the main effect all these local elections have on me is that every day there is a new flyer on my front door from some hopeful schmuck running for something. Usually complete with not only a photo of the prospective office holder, but of his or her lovely family as well. Today's was quite a surprise. Someone else I know wants my vote.

My roofer wants to be my ward counselor. This is not such an easy decision. I do not have the personal antipathy towards him that I do my former classmate. Indeed, once he finally returned my call, he was a pleasure doing business with. But do we really want to encourage him to spend less time and mental energy on roofing?

Think of all those other poor people with leaks waiting anxiously for a phone call back. Fixing the housing stock of ward 2 is probably more of a service to this city than all that blah blah blah in city hall.

xoxo

3 comments:

crispix67 said...

Evil Kitty for Mayor! Next stop-the White House!

Anonymous said...

Evil Kitty isn't nearly old enough to meet the constitutional age qualifications. Plus I don't think there's any legal birth certificate to show she was born in the United States. In fact, given her fur color, I highly doubt it.

malevolent andrea said...

Evil Kitty would like you all to know that she is in fact 45 years old in human terms, that her adoption papers say she was born in Salem, and that being elected mayor or president would be a comedown from her current position as Empress of the Known Universe. :-)