Wednesday, September 9, 2009

and in the annals of

how I fear for American literacy, let me just say that the recent onslaught of RMSers who have kitchen cabnets or, worse, cabnits (WTF kind of hick accent do you have to have anyway, in which that word doesn't have three syllables?) is just the beginning. A friend sent me a link to someone's blog last week. The blog belongs to my friend's SO's...acquaintance. Got that? My friend's SO is in a fight with this acquaintance, and the purpose of passing along the blog link was not (just) to mock, but to say see? see how annoying, self-centered, and insipid this woman is? *you'd* be in a fight with her too if you had to deal with her on a regular basis!

So, I couldn't even get through one blog entry before giving up, so boring was it. But I couldn't really mock. As I said to my friend, this woman's blog exists as the equivalent of a Facebook page (which are also excruciatingly boring): its purpose is just to post pictures of the woman's kid, family and friends, and for her to go on about the boring things she does every day. I don't really see the point, but millions of Facebook users cannot be wrong, eh?

But on the other hand, and after reflection? Do you know the shocking thing? What Ms Boring Blogger does for a living is *teach writing*. At a very expensive private university. You would think if one were being paid to teach 19 year olds to edit their prose, one would know enough not to write an essay about one's own vacation in which one enumerates that one got up and went to breakfast. I mean, if it was the most amazing or most horrid breakfast evah, yeah. If your waitress was absolutely fascinating, yeah. If a knife fight or a prison-bus-level conversation broke out at the table behind you, hell yeah. But otherwise, no. We your readers will assume you got up and at some point ate. You can edit that out.

I'm just glad I'm not paying 40k a year for my spawn to be taught composition by this chick. Can you imagine?

xoxo

1 comment:

Uncle said...

Unfortunately, I *can* imagine. And no, I don't have a clue how these clowns landed where they are.

Do you get extra points in her class for spelling it "cabnits?"

Scuse me...gotta go lose supper.