Sunday, October 9, 2011

varied things, the motherfn' sequel

1.) I forgot this one yesterday. Yesterday morning I was about to miss my bus to work, as it was coming and I was on the corner waiting to cross the street, when the bus driver saw me, gestured questioningly to me, and then stopped and waited for me to get across. I bet *she* never holds up the line at CVS either. Thank you, nice bus driver.

2.) So, then at work yesterday, I had this woman come in with her almost 8 yo, and she asked if she could speak to me privately before we did anything. It seems that she had told the kid that the reason he was having a test was that his soccer coach wanted all the players to be checked for concussions, and she wanted me to go along with this. Um, okay, fine. It's not for me to tell you that you shouldn't lie to your children in an attempt to not freak them out about something, but c'mon. The kid was about to turn 8, not 5. Don't you think at some point he's going to talk to his teammates and find out that they indeed did NOT go have their brains checked too? Then, after we were done and all went swimmingly (despite the woman's fears that this perfectly cooperative little boy wasn't gonna do well), the mom who obviously had an anxiety disorder to the power of 11 herself, asked me anxiously if the fact that I wrote in my little book meant something REALLY BAD. Um, no, it meant I was logging him in. God knows, I have uber sympathy for people with the crazee--especially the crazee that resembles my own--because I know what it feels like. But it occurred to me that I *would never* verbalize my irrational anxieties to a stranger like that, because I know when they are probably irrational. I just tell you people about them. That's good, right?

3.) In the Georgian language, "zeg" means the day after tomorrow. Why is there no word for that in English? I am going to adopt zeg in this blog. Try to keep up.

4.) There was this story on CNN this morning about some little sixth grade girl in (Kansas? Texas? some place like that, lulz) who was forbidden from wearing a rosary-style necklace to school because it's against the dress code. It's against the dress code because some gang members also wear rosaries as a gang sign. Naturally the parents, the archdiocese, etc are all outraged! outraged, I say! about this, and have the little girl on TV saying how she really wants to wear the necklace to help her think about Jesus dying for her sins (though she phrased it clumsily, like trying to remember something someone told her to say). I dunno, I know 12 year old girls and I was a 12 year old girl, and I think her initial reason for wanting to wear this piece of jewelry was probably more like, oooo! pretty! And also? The whole flipping out about how her religious freedom was being infringed upon? Do the parents not see that this is not some kind of evil discrimination but a safety measure? When D was in high school there was a whole litany of things that were against the dress code because they were possible gang signifiers. (How many times to I have to tell you, I live in a klassy area. God.) I don't think he or any of his fellow students objected too much to this--and you know teenagers object to fucking everything--because, y'know, you do not WANT to accidentally wear something that suggests you have a gang affiliation that you do not in fact have. It could be dangerous to your fucking health, noimsayin? The mother in the piece was all, "well, obviously, we're not gang people." No, you stupid cow, you are not, but do you really want to open the possibility of someone who *is* starting shit with your little girl at school over a fucking necklace, when there are a whole bunch of other crosses, etc, she could wear to express her faith, if that's what she's really expressing?

There's more, but I should get dressed, yo. Happy Sunday!

xoxo

No comments: