Wednesday, October 5, 2011

noah's ark, day 2

Since i know how you all care so very very much about my problems and you probably tossed and turned all night worrying about chez andrea, here's the update. The water removal company never called me back. Not last night, not so far today and it is almost 11 am. Meanwhile, though those bastards at my insurance company have been at work for three hours now, they have not returned my call either. If I had a question about buying more insurance, do you think I'd have gotten a timely response? Yeah, me too.

Nevertheless, the point is moot, because between the bailing D and I did last night, and the water removing itself, I woke up this morning to a basement that no longer had an inch of water covering the entire floor. Instead I had a few remaining large puddles and a thin layer of dirt covering the rest of the floor. I've been shopvacing for probably 2 1/2-3 hours with breaks, and I have more than 50% of it cleaned up. I've got the dehumidifier back down there and cranking. I might go out and buy a second one and/or a big fan, because the internet tells me those are good for drying out basements too. Then I have to get everything out of there that's gotten wet. Luckily, since D and I have been cleaning down there, there are far less wet cardboard boxes to mildew than there would have been otherwise. We did put down an area rug that we found rolled up down there (shit my mom bought at Building 19, part two billion) when we were cleaning on a part of the floor that *never* gets wet, and it got wet, so that'll have to be trashed. Other than that, all the cleaning we've done helped, not hurt.

So I think, other than the backbreaking labor involved, this is gonna turn out fine and not cost me a shit ton of money. OTOH, I still will need to get the sump looked at, 'cause when it's working, we've never gotten this level of water down there.

Oh, and my only other question is whether it would be good to keep the sliders open to the basement to air it out. I've been going in and out that way to emptying my shopvac into the raised part of the flower beds. I don't expect you people to tell me, because did you have words of wisdom for me last night? No. No you did not. What the hell you people think, having "lives" n' shit, rather than sitting about, waiting to listen to and solve my fucking problems, I don't know. God.

So I shall soldier on, unadvised. I do want credit for how calm I am being, however. I do great when something bad actually happens. I only fall apart worrying in advance about something possibly bad happening. I know. It makes no fucking sense. Believe me, if I could swap this brain out for one that works better, I would.

xoxo

2 comments:

Uncle said...

If I had sliders, they'd be open. As it is I have 3 cellar windows, all open...cross ventilation is what you want.
Scratch previous comment about shop vacs.

When you're done, you could hustle it and get any amount of money for it.

malevolent andrea said...

Basement's looking pretty good.

I didn't have to go get a giant fan because, d'oh, I figured out the one in my bedroom would work swell. Got the dehumidifier working, got my two space heaters on down there (one near the bottom of the stairs where the stair carpeting got wet and that seems to be drying that out real well), had the sliders open on and off. Couldn't make up my mind whether that was competing with the dehumidifier or not. (My basement windows don't open. I guess it's suicide protection, hahahaha.) Moved a whole lot of stuff that needs to be thrown away into the garage, which will probably cause garage stench again, but I didn't know what else to do with that soaking wet area rug.