Tuesday, May 3, 2011

i r getting stupider...but maybe not

Most recent episode of gross idiocy occurred on Saturday. Let me backtrack. You know that communal mailbox of ours that I have bitched about shoveling out, oh, once or twice? Well, we have one key to that mailbox. My dad always kept it on his keychain, because one of his OCD control-freakish thangs was that he *had* to be the one to fetch the mail every day. Since his demise, I have kept the key on his keychain. Feeling like that precious mailbox key, which I am sure would be a bitch to get the US Postal Service to replace should it be lost (those fuckers left my new computer out in the rain, remember? they don't give a crap about my mail!), is safer in the house than in my purse (though I have never in my adult life lost a set of keys, but there's a first time for everything), I keep them in the "junk drawer" in my kitchen. Occasionally I'll throw them in my purse if I'm checking the mail on my way out, but usually they live in that drawer and I need to come into the house and get them, then go back out and check the mail.

You're fascinated already, huh? I'm SORRY, you need to know this. So, anyway, I came home Saturday, went into the junk drawer to get the keys and they weren't there. I tossed the drawer looking for them, but no. No keys. I then dumped out the contents of my purse looking for them. No. I distinctly remembered coming in on Friday, putting down my purse and gym bag and then going out to get the mail, so I searched the pockets of the coat I wore Friday. No keys. I looked all over the kitchen and the living room to see if I had put them down somewhere when I'd come in with Friday's mail. No keys. I was starting to feel slightly panicked. I re-looked everywhere I'd already looked. Then, for some reason, I opened the drawer next to the junk drawer. And there they were. Why I would have put them there is a complete mystery.

But, to redeem myself! Yesterday morning, the battery on my food scale died. I opened it up to see what kind of battery it was, and it was one of those flat, round, button types. D and I were going to an appointment, so I asked him to remind me to look for a new one when we went into the market afterwards. Well, they didn't have any of those round flat batteries. Their battery selection was limited to your AAAs and AAs, etc. However, I was pretty sure that when I went to CVS later, they'd have them. They did. They had at least 5 different sizes of round flat batteries. Damn. Who knew there were so many different, but almost the same, ones? Well, perhaps the prudent thing to have done would have been to wait until I brought the old battery back to the store w/ me so I could see exactly which one was right. But that would mean being without my food scale for another day. Horrors. So I looked at them carefully and using all the brain cells I have left in my rapidly deteriorating cortex picked the one that I was sure was the same size as the one in my scale.

And I was right.

Score one for the old n' stupid.

xoxo

No comments: