Friday, February 25, 2011

body parts are falling off

That got your attention, didn't it? I wish I had my camera with me to document this, but you'll just have to picture it in your mind. I am sure you are all capable of that.

So, circa 1998, when I climbed that big mountain in the Adirondacks in improperly fitting hiking boots, I damaged the nailbeds of both big toes, and for years and years, I had an indented line across both toenails. But eventually (is it seven years that supposedly all your cells have turned over?) the nails finally grew out straight. Cut to 2009 when I did the Walk for Hunger and bruised both big toenails badly because my sneakers might possibly have been slightly too tight, though I didn't actually feel any pain when I was walking. Again, re damaged the nailbed and my toenails have been growing out with divots in them ever since.

I had originally made an appointment for a pedicure yesterday, but I cancelled it because it was too late in the day and with all the running around I've been doing this week I just wanted to get home earlier than that. Then last night as I was getting into bed, I realized the toenail on my left foot felt odd. I turned the light back on, only to find that from the horizontal divot across the nail (2/3rds of the way down the nail) up, the whole nail was coming off. There's like a damaged layer of nail underneath it, not just skin, and it doesn't hurt, so I don't know if I should actually pull that nail off all the way, exposing the kinda yucky nail underneath, or whether I should, with nail polish and top coat, attempt to shellac the nail back together enough that it will stay adhered to the rest of the nail. Right now I solved the problem by putting a bandaid over it. ::eyeroll::

This whole thing is disconcerting, as well as gross, because I didn't do anything to that foot yesterday to suddenly make the nail come off. Plus, what if I *had* gone to my pedi appointment. I can only imagine poor Angela taking off my polish and the nail coming with it, freaking her out. I'd have had to double her already generous tip, yo.

xoxo

3 comments:

crispix67 said...

I would not shellac it. I would keep a bandage of some sort on it, some covering. If you take the nail off, and maybe that nail underneath is not fully formed or strong enough yet- could risk infection.

But definitely no shellac- would add to the infection risk.

malevolent andrea said...

Really???!?! I can't put nail polish on it, even though it already has nail polish on it? :-( I don't mean putting anything on the underneath part or anything. Maybe I do need to take a picture tonight and show you.

If I have to keep a bandaid over that, I'll have to keep a bandaid over it for 6 months, because it is 2/3rds of the way down the nail :-(

Uncle said...

When I had my Morton's toe crisis at Yosemite, my kid wrapped the injured part in moleskin (the uncut pieces, not the shaped ones)and taped over it.

It did protect the toe very well, but it's a very bulky repair, so not compatible with snug shoes.

I bet the pedicurist had seen worse than that ;-)