Tuesday, June 1, 2010

so here i am

...at work, playing on the internet again, and since I weighed myself this morning after my minibreak (as the British say) and I weighed myself before the weekend, and the number was the same (so I'm taking it as my true weight), I thought I would do the BMI calculator and see what it is now, even though I think the BMI is crap. That's a long sentence with a lot of parentheticals. So, anyway, I did, and I'm smack in the middle of the "normal" range. Kinda where I thought I'd be, based on what it was before I lost any weight.

But then I continued to screw around on the internet and I found a site where if you put in your weight and height and a bunch of different measurements--neck, wrist, forearm, hips--it estimates your bodyfat%. And it told me my bodyfat% is 29.9, smack dab in the middle of the slightly overfat (or however they worded it) range. I think it's the combination of the tiny wrists and big hips that did me in, yo. But, seriously? That seems a lot more accurate than the BMI. I still have a nice excess of stored fat that would serve me very well if I had to breastfeed a kid or live through a famine, thankyouverymuch. And as an other aside? It's much more difficult than you would think to measure your own neck size.

But THEN I found another site where if you put in your height, weight, sex, and age, it tells you on what percentile of fatness you are for comparative people your age and sex. And I am at the 15th percentile. Which sounds better than slightly overfat. Ha! Apparently for a middle-aged woman I have not completely gone to pot. Or the rest of them have fallen prey to the OMG OBESITY EPIDEMIC BOOGA BOOGA. Oh, I crack myself up.

(If my irresponsible patients didn't DNK their appointments, I wouldn't have time for this nonsense. Blame them!)

Finally, and in keeping with the 15th percentile crap, the hotel we stayed at in Brattleboro had a small gym, an indoor pool, a hot tub, and a sauna, all of which were open to guests and to the general public who were members. The Benevolent L and I made use of the pool and the hot tub, because that is how we roll. But in the morning hours that we were there, the water aerobics class was just finishing up. Morning water aerobics is, as you might imagine, the provenience of a bunch of retired (in the case of Brattleboro, old hippie) ladies. And these retired old hippie ladies had *no* compunction about walking around that locker room completely nekkid. Ain't none of them shy, I'll tell you that.

Well. Benevolent L and I like to joke that to 70 year old guys, we are still hot young chicks, and there is nothing like seeing how our bodies are going to look in another twenty years to confirm that that is not a joke. It's a little scary. Gravity is no one's friend, kids. And it is indeed possible to develop cellulite in places you never would have dreamed of when you were 25. (And these are women who obviously actually exercise regularly and try to take care of themselves!) The funny thing is, when I was a young woman, I both worked in a nursing home and so saw lots of naked elderly women, and I saw my own grandmother undressed many times when helping to care for her, but it didn't instill that same level of vague horror. At 47, it cuts a little too close to home. Maybe when I am seventy my future contractor second husband will not have divorced me and will still love me and sex me up no matter what I look like! A person's gotta have hope for the future! (Do I have to irony tag this? Y'all can read tone, right?)

xoxo

No comments: