Wednesday, June 2, 2010

saving the world

I had an appointment with Marcy yesterday and in our discussion of my health and how I was feeling, I mentioned that I'd been losing weight since I'd last seen her and working out quite a bit. That morphed into a discussion of exercise DVDs, and I told her I had (and I can't believe I'm admitting this publicly) one called The Bollywood Dance Workout with Hemalayaa. Which I would never do anywhere but in my own bedroom with the door closed, it's so silly and I'm so bad. But it does get you sweating and I laugh through it because it's all so ridiculous.

Marcy said, no, she thought that was great, and that in her opinion dance is one of the most effective workouts there is. She said in Dancing with the Stars, those people get buff over the course of the season. (I dunno, never watched it.) So then she said, "There's this class that a whole bunch of my patients are *obsessed* with. It's on the tip of my tongue..."

I knew immediately what she was talking about. "It starts with a Z..."

"Yeah! Zumba! That's it!" And she started telling me that, apparently, at the LA Sports Club in downtown Boston, there was this guy who taught this zumba class that people were absolutely cult-like about, and when the club was going to get rid of him/it, they started a huge letter-writing campaign and protest, until the decision was reversed. There was actually an article (in the Globe? Boston Magazine? somewhere) about it, and one of the women involved in the protest was quoted as saying something about how "this shows how powerful people can be when they work together for a cause."

Marcy finished relating that and then she added, "I really couldn't help but think when I read that that there were probably some other more important things these people could have put their collective energy towards."

And this is one of the reasons I have been Marcy's patient for 18 months.

xoxo

2 comments:

crispix67 said...

I agree with Marcy about the dancing. Every couple of months, Mr Bill does this Yoga with live drumming class. Some of it is yoga poses- usually done not the usual way, more fun, playful, but also more consciously...then about 3/4 of the way through, we do this free-for-all dance thing where we just move however the drums and our bodies want us to. I always end up drenched in sweat and grinning from ear to ear. It is quite a workout! But its a FUN workout, so I dont mind it as much. It actually has helped me alot to get more comfortable and free with my body and movement. Im back to dancing when the mood strikes, sometimes even in public ;-)

So...put on that Bollywood DVD and dance your ass off!

malevolent andrea said...

I know! It is fun! And then you feel like, hey, how can this be a workout if it's not all grim and grueling? Until you realize you're soaked with sweat and various muscles are going HELLO!

(Maybe zumba is like that but I'm not gonna brave the cultlike atmosphere and find out ;-))