Friday, August 5, 2011

salem farmers market and updates

So. The summer that I was working for those evil criminal massage bastards who stole our money I used to, on occasion, go through Copley Square when they were having the big farmers' market there on Tuesdays. Usually I could not buy anything as I was on my way to work or some compulsory meeting for which I was not getting paid despite my commuting costs thus incurred. But the following summers, once I started seeing Marcy, I was again often in Copley on a Tuesday afternoon and could partake of the many lovely and often organic veggies.

Well, it came to my attention last summer that they were having a farmers' market on Thursday afternoons in Salem. I meant to check it out, but that never happened. Yesterday however I wandered down there after work. I would highly recommend it. I got tomatoes and cucumbers and tiny yellow potatoes (D's been wistfully wondering if I'd ever make mashed potatoes again, heh) and these double chocolate chocolate chip brownies. All very delicious. There were many other things to check out: live lobsters, the When Pigs Fly bread people, local honey, etc. I will be back.

Meanwhile certain things have gotten resolved or at least partially resolved with all my stressful phone calling and emailing. Let's see. MassHealth Disability Determination did indeed get the medical records from Eliot Community Human Services. (I'm so frustrated with them, I'ma just not redact their name like I usually would, so there.) However as of yesterday morning at 11 am when I spoke to the receptionist at Disability Determination, he was still going to be required to go to the evaluation in Cambridge scheduled for tomorrow, as they still did not have enough information. I started questioning the receptionist re this--she would have characterized it as arguing, I am sure--and she asked whether I would like to speak to the person who is reviewing D's case, who is named Lisa. Oh, yes, please. I get her voicemail, leave message, hang up and start cancelling my day of patients for Saturday. Lisa calls me back after 3-ish. She tells me that the records from Eliot weren't really comprehensive enough for her to get an idea of D's level, but that she has a call into D's NP/prescriber. Which is stellar. And oh, the appointment for Saturday has been rescheduled for September and we should be getting a letter about that. Let's process this: 4 hours earlier I was told Saturday's appointment was a go *and* if they sent a letter it would have to come today (Friday) or else, if I hadn't talked to her, we'd have gone to Cambridge for nothing tomorrow. As it is, I took a day off work for nothing. However, all frustration with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and Eliot Community aside, this woman Lisa seemed very nice and seemed to be insinuating that once she talked to D's clinician, that September appointment will not have to happen.

Meanwhile my passive aggressive email to Nick and CJ with the fake smiley attached got them to my house to mow the grass yesterday bright and early.

And then--and this is actually good customer service--we started having that problem with the stove again that I've literally had happen sporadically for the past 3 years. Sometimes for no apparent reason whatsoever, if I use too many burners at once or preheat the oven too high, it shuts itself off. It does not blow the circuit breaker, but if I wait a moment, go out to the garage and flip the breaker off and on, the power to stove will resume. The alarming thing is that sometimes when this happens, the circuit breaker is warm to the touch. After having it happen last week and making me freak out that we would have an electrical fire, I finally figured out who the nice electrician I had gotten to install my chandelier and my new outlets a couple years ago and emailed him, asking whether he thought it was a wiring or a stove problem. And he very promptly emailed me back later that night, told me he thought it was a stove problem, and why, recommended an appliance repair shop to me in case I needed one, and said of course, if I still wanted him to come take a look, he would. I'm thinking a lot of guys would have, instead of giving me free advice, come out to take a look, charged me for it, then told me it was the stove. (So if you need an electrician on the lower North Shore, lemme know and I'll drop his name.) Then I was able to call the appliance guys (not the ones he recommended, because there's a really well-known reputable place less than a mile from my house) and set up an appointment for Tuesday.

So some of the stuff that has been giving me a stomachache is resolved or at least tabled, and my new equipment at work is *finally* doing what it's supposed to do, and I got my office painted and they didn't screw up anything while they were doing it! We won't talk about all the other stuff that's still a mess. We'll just focus on the small triumphs, 'k?

Hope your Friday is full of small triumphs and good customer service and people who will actually help you when it's their job to do so!

xoxo

No comments: