Saturday, August 20, 2011

jaw-breaking peanut brittle in the ice cream of life

Evocative Images 101, y'all. Shut up. What I mean to say is, nothing ever goes smoothly.

When I was explaining to Marcy the other day *why* I had to take a nap on Wednesday morning after my electrician dropped by and gave me the bad news, I expressed that I am being worn down by the fact that every fucking thing is a problem. There was the fiasco with my equipment at work, and the pain in the ass with D and MassHealth, and the simple little stove thing turning out to be a big, relatively expensive thing. Things have not been on an upswing since then.

Wednesday after my electrician visit and my nap but before ancient Chinese medicine fucked with my hormones, I got my Rue La La Boston daily email. The deal for the day was a 45 minute soak for two at Inman Oasis for $25, $50 value. I like Inman Oasis. I had a $20 Rue La La credit that I've been holding onto for probably a year and a half, that I got for completing some survey or other. Do the math. It would be stupid not to take the deal. I bought the soak for 5 bucks, woohoo. And then yesterday I realized I hadn't gotten my voucher in email, even though it was supposed to come within 24 hours. I emailed Rue La La. My "concierge" emailed back that he was resending the voucher, to check my spam folder, and to call the 888 number if I didn't get it by today. Guess where I had to call today? And sit on hold? Uh, yeah. Today's concierge told me she had another call about this yesterday. Apparently there was a problem inputting the codes or something and thus the vouchers were not sent in their usual timely manner. But she is positive I will get it by tomorrow. My hopes are not, y'know, high. Grr. This is the most work I have ever had to do for a fucking $5 purchase, lemme tell you that.

Then yesterday, going to leave work. It's pouring! I am not going to walk the fifteen minutes from work to the gym in that, so I retreat to my office to wait for it to let up. It does. About half way there, it starts thundering really loudly again. However, the sky is actually lighter in the direction in which I am walking. I feel safe that I will make it to the Y before storming recommences. Wrong. Three blacks away and the sky opens up and, despite my emergency umbrella, the sideways force of rain ensures that I am completely soaked from the waist down. I walk into the Y looking much like someone who has taken a shower while wearing their clothes and the new girl at the front desk takes that opportunity to inform me that my payment for July did not go through. WTF. It's mid-August and I'm at the gym 5 days a week on average. I'm fairly sure it's that my debit card expired the end of June and they just need the new expiration date. I dry myself off with my complementary towel, change, workout, and when I am going to leave, my dress I wore to work is still so wet, it's impossible to put back on. So I take myself home on public transport wearing yoga shorts that I am vaguely aware might possibly give me camel toe. Because apparently I have no shame, I don't really give a fuck. (But, seriously, what would you do? Put back on soaking wet clothes just in order to preserve some semblance of modesty? Just, no.)

Today I get to work (7:15, Saturday morning) to find that the monitor attached to the piece of equipment we just spent all that money replacing is dead. I place a frantic call to my 8am patient, but they have already left. Luckily, I manage to steal a monitor off another computer that my MDs use and get up and running by the time they arrive, but seriously? When they were telling us the computer on the equipment was so damn old and needed to be replaced, not fixed, why didn't they replace the equally aged monitor too? But I'm sure the adrenaline rush at 7:30am was good for me.

And just a bit ago, I got an email from my son with a video link in it, but, um, no, it's not really from him, so apparently he's got a virus on his netbook. Son of a bitch.

On the plus side, in case you didn't already hear, I won a hundred bucks and some miscellaneous stuff yesterday, and as of last night the money is supposed to be in my Paypal account. I'm kinda scared to check whether it's really there or not, because with the way things have been going, I wouldn't count on it. Sigh.

Is Mercury in retrograde or something?

xoxo

No comments: