Wednesday, August 17, 2011

oh, look

It's 7:45 and my electrician has come and gone. Is my breaker fixed? No. Why not? Because the problem is not the breaker. Really? I thought the appliance guy was 99.9% sure that's what it was. Well, he's not an electrician, is he?

Do you wanna know what the problem really is? The problem really is that when this fucking poorly designed money pit of a fucking house was built, they put the wrong wiring in for the stove. The wire is only supposed to handle 40 amps(?-I think amps) and my stove draws 50. And according to my electrician, they usually put in a wire that can handle 60, just y'know, to cover all the bases. He could not explain to me how my stove has thus been working, mostly, for the past 7 years since I bought it except [blah blah blah mumbo jumbo] but I felt the wire when they had the panel open and it was scary warm. Sigh. He's going on vacation next week, but then we can set up a time for him to come back and put in new wiring. It should only take two or three hours. Sigh.

Meanwhile, more sandwiches! Woohoo!

Here's some cat pictures. That always, y'know, calms me.





xoxo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised they screw up like that--it wouldn't have cost them much of anything extra to put in the higher amperage wiring to start with. Pretty much all the cost is in the labor, not the physical bits.

Is it possible they just put in lower capacity wiring back in the day? Your electrician would know that, though.

Sounds like someone was cutting corners for no particularly good reason. Unless it was some moron who wasn't even an electrician who put in the wiring and just didn't know what he was doing. At least your house is still standing!

malevolent andrea said...

My electrician literally said to me, the difference between the wire they put in and the one that would have been the right one is like $5. Kinda goes along with how when I had that trouble with my dryer vent a couple years ago, the plumber was shaking his head about why when they built this house they put the laundry hookup where they did, 'cause it was just asking for problems. (I know who did the wiring, their company sticker's on the panel. One of those companies who has been in town for many years but may not have the best of all reputations, capice?)

And while you're over here blog commenting why no guess on my grad picture? Click to enlarge. You can get it. I gave you such a clue. ;-)