Thursday, July 21, 2011

in which I take matters into my own hands

Just an update in case anyone gives a crap. In fact, I would like to express my displeasure and frustration whether you give a crap or not. The whole thing about D's mental health providers not releasing his medical records to MassHealth disability determination? I believe I told you, oh, eleven days ago?, that I had a call in to his NP to try to resolve this. She did not call me back the first day I left a message. She did not call me back the second day I left a message. I began to wonder whether in fact she was on vacation or perhaps out sick, though her voicemail did not have an "away" message on it. Her voicemail did, however, have a different voice on it, not hers, but the same male voice that you get when you call the main number. This led me to believe that they had recently redone the phone system. Worry about whether my voicemail was disappearing into a black hole ensued.

So, I called again this Monday, late afternoon, hoping that if she had been away or sick, she was now back. Well, it was perhaps too late in the day, because she was not there. I left another voicemail. I did not hear back Tuesday. She is not in on Wednesdays. I made the executive decision that since she is normally in on Thursdays, I would just go down there this morning. Whether she wasn't getting my messages or whether she was ignoring them or whether she was away in the Andes for four weeks, I'd at least get some kind of response by just showing up.

Turns out that, no, she did not get any voicemail from me, never mind three. Turns out her previous patient who'd just been in her office before me had also complained of leaving her messages she didn't get. She looked somewhat concerned about this, so I do not think she was lying. And she's always been responsive to phone calls before. I showed her the letter saying that disability determination had NOT received records from them. She took me out to the front desk, saying so-n-so would be the one to handle that. Well, so-n-so denied any responsibility in this. This had to go through Medical Records, and Medical Records, who is apparently one woman, has been Out. They have someone covering for her two nights a week, but they are very very VERY behind in sending things out. D's NP looks at her expectantly, not even saying anything, until she cracks and says, well, okay, maybe she can take care of it.

Then she looks at the letter and claims it *doesn't* actually say they hadn't sent them records, just that the records weren't enough. "Read the next line," I say. You know, the one that says [reacted] has not sent us any information about your medical condition. "I have no way of knowing whether [Medical Records person] sent them anything or not. I can't get into her computer." Finally, in a pained manner, she says that if I call them and find out for sure that they haven't received the records, and will still take them, she can FAX them over. I stand at her little window, whip out my cell, and get them to confirm they haven't received anything, even after a letter and a follow up phone call (ahem) but they will certainly accept them if they FAX them. I leave semi-cooperative front desk woman with the letter w/ D's name, the reference number, and the correct FAX I wrote down for her, thank her without any apparent (I hope) insincerity for her help, and leave. I hope she does it. But I could strangle someone.

Listen. I understand that people get sick, have surgery, have family emergencies, etc etc. I do not understand NOT getting someone to do their job while they are out if their job is in fact releasing medical records, which I would myself assume is a fairly important and time sensitive endeavor. But what the fuck do I know? I am just the mother of the seriously mentally ill consumer and we all know, and I know from bitter experience better than most, that seriously mentally ill people without money are not people that anyone gives much of a crap about. Who cares if they lose their health insurance because no one would send out their medical records in a timely manner OR respond to the request for such with an explanation of the delay? Who cares if they are unable to leave voicemail for their medical providers that their medical providers can actually access? Hell, you've got the "...if this is a psychiatric emergency, hang up and call..." on there to cover your ass from being sued.

I'm done. You can expect more bitching from me next week when I find out these records still didn't get FAXed even though this woman said she'd do it later today, but, y'know, have hope n' shit.

xoxo

No comments: