Sunday, July 17, 2011

explaining my people

I just saw this linked to somewhere else, and thought it was pretty good. I have my quibbles, of course, as it applies to me. Let's examine them, shall we!

"Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest." I think I'm a pretty damn tactful and socially-clued in person. I don't mind being polite at all. I just don't want the damn pleasantries to drag on forever. See: "Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk."

I'd also personally disagree with "Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG." You all know I love to go out in public. AS LONG AS I DON'T HAVE TO INTERACT WITH ANYONE. As long as I can just observe, watch, and listen, like Jane Goodell amongst the chimps, I'm happy as a clam to be in a crowd.

And then there's "Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies." I kinda am. About some things. I definitely rue that I no longer have any friends that will go to Six Flags with me.

But the rest of it is pretty on point. Can babble on for days when I've got something to say. Check. Don't interact for the sake of interacting. Check. Extremely loyal and good friend to those few of you who are worth it. Check. Live inside my head and think a lot. Check. Crave a deep connection with one person at a time. Check. Think for myself and do what I want. Check.

And, the most important part: the world needs weird people like me. How annoying would it be if the world were populated solely be those of you who can't just STFU and listen?

xoxo

No comments: