Sunday, February 5, 2012

questions and comments

Question #1: is it wrong to leave the gym and go directly across the street for a beer? What if you have beer *and* a salad with chicken on it? Shut up, I'm pre-gaming for the Superbowl.

Comment: speaking of the Superbowl, remember how in 2010 I said that if they kept up the trend in half-time musical performers, pretty soon they's have to feature someone/some band that was actually, y'know, *dead*? Well, last year they backslid and had someone non-geriatric (if sucky) but this year we are back to Madonna. Now, Madonna is not The Who, but she also has to wear half-gloves to cover her old lady hands. All I'm sayin'.

Question #2: isn't Wachusett Blueberry good? <--related to question #1. Keep the fuck up, wouldya.

Comment: I saw something really sad when I was entering work yesterday. A woman on her cell, half-sobbing, on a bench outside the hospital, dressed in a t-shirt, shorts, a leather jacket, and boots. Evidently she came to the ED in the middle of the night with someone, dressed in what she was sleeping in + the first shoes and coat that came to hand. It was heartbreaking. Especially since the part of her phone conversation I could hear as I passed was, "...I've got no one else to talk to..."

Question #3: I've worked in healthcare my entire working life--when am I gonna harden the fuck up to shit like that?

Question #4 and comment: how hipster *is* downtown Salem these days? I give you as evidence: Gulu Gulu and Coven on the same block, two chichi pet boutiques within a stone's throw of each other, and (as came to my attention yesterday, though it may be old news) two bike shops on the same street. I have no problem with any of this. I do have a problem, however, with the fact that since Coven is closed for vacay, there is apparently a shortage of places with coffee + WiFi. I tried to get coffee and a snack after the gym yesterday, but at 4pm on a Saturday I could not get a seat at Gulu, Starbucks, or the Front Street Cafe (which I'm not even sure has WiFi because I never go there). Who the fuck are these hipsters and why are they all drinking coffee on a Saturday afternoon?

Comment: uh, go Pats! Brady, I still hate you and your supermodel wife, but I gotta pull for my hometown team outta civic pride.

xoxo

No comments: